Music Banter - View Single Post - Worse thing to happen to music
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
jr.
Seeker of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger
Yeah but there`s over 50 years of rock music to pick 24 hours a day of programming to.There`s no reason why the same bands should be played over & over again.
That's my point exactly. MTV made people lazy. They didn't have to go out and see their favorite bands, waiting months, sometimes years to get to spend a few hours with them. All they had to do was put it on, and there it was. MTV killed the magic of music. I remember my Mom telling me how she and her friends argued as to whether or not Elvis was black. They'd never seen him.

In the process, MTV directed the musical tastes of an entire generation, simply by playing the same stuff over and over. By the time MTV was 4-5 years old, in the mid 80's, MTV was pretty much dictating what was popular and what wasn't, simply because people were too lazy to find out for themselves. Not everyone, mind you. There are still, to this day, hardcore fans of 'real' music, who are ardent in their quest for good music. Like the people in here, MB. I'd say there are very, very few people in this forum that are swayed by what they see, as opposed to what they here.

But, for the most part, the majority of people are lazy, and eat whatever is fed to them. On the radio and on TV. MTV.

That's why I say MTV is the worst thing to happen to music. Being able to see music, on a daily basis, changed how it was recieved. The kids started dressing like Madonna, and MTV suddenly was a fashion show, with music an afterthought.

*EDIT* A perfect case in point to support this theory is a post I made in another thread. Look at what happened to metal when MTV came along. Anyone? Anyone?

Hair Metal. That's right. Suddenly, it was look good, then worry about the music.