Music Banter - View Single Post - Pointlessly long songs?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
jazzfromhell
SHAKE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.
They should have stopped 'Layla' right before that infernally long piano thing at the end. Ruins an otherwise perfect song.

Also, they can cut out all those 15 minute organ solos from any Doors song, and they'd be better.

I disagree...the piano section of Layla might've been better without those whiny slide guitars in the background, but I like the piano (although actually, it might've been better to just make them two seperate songs). Also, that seen in Goodfellas where the camera zooms in and out of all the murdered men while the piano section of Layla plays is as beautiful as such imagery can be.

As for the Doors keyboard solos, they aren't great solos, but they're fine for a chorus or so. The longer ones, on the other hand, I would agree with you. Manzarek is far from an outstanding soloist (the solo in Light My Fire is supposed to be some sort of Coltrane homage...that's a joke, not only is it not a great solo, but suggesting it's anywhere near Coltrane's level (or even style, really)... ). I do like the keyboard bits in Riders on the Storm.
jazzfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote