Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #512 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Back to domestic football then....

Wigan clinch £5.5m Heskey deal
Friday July 07 2006

Emile Heskey has completed a whirlwind round of talks to become the most expensive player in Wigan's history at £5.5million from Birmingham.

The 28-year-old striker has put pen to paper to a three-year contract with the Latics and his arrival smashes their previous record transfer fee when they paid £3.1million for Henri Camara last summer.

Manager Paul Jewell is confident he has signed a player of quality, saying: "This is a major coup for Wigan Athletic. I have said all along I want to bring real quality performers into this club, and Emile fits into that category."

He added: "He is the most high-profile signing this club has ever made, but I've not bought him for his reputation, I've bought him because I know what he can do on a football field.

"He's played over 300 Premiership games, was a mainstay in the Liverpool and England attack for several seasons and has played and scored in both the World Cup and the UEFA Cup.

"I can understand Steve Bruce not wanting to sell him because he has been a big player for him.

"But I expect Emile to make a major impact at Wigan because he has the talent, drive and attitude to fit into the team and play a major part in our development. Of that I am totally convinced."

Jewell has often struggled in the transfer market in the past to sign the more well-known players when they become available. But he is now hoping with the capture of Heskey, the tide has turned.

"We have been monitoring the situation for a long time as regards his availability, and there were naturally several other clubs interested in a player of his quality," added Jewell.

"It speaks volumes about how far we have come as a club that we have beaten established Premiership clubs to net a player of his stature, just as he has reached his prime."

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote