Music Banter - View Single Post - I hate when singers think they own the band.
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Bassists and drummers are a important part of a band, but rarely are they not replacable, a bands primary songwriter isn't replacable.
I'd say that the above statement depends on the quality of the bassist and drummers (and guitarists). In certain cases (as with Led Zeppelin) the instrumentalists are so extremely good that the music sells itself largely on the strength of the instrumentation and arrangements. In this case, the lead singer/songwriter might actually be expendable as the band will bring to life whatever song they're playing. Bands this good are very few and few between, so usually the selling point of a band is its songwriting and the voice of the lead singer. Once again, to have this sellable voice and/or songwriting ability is a rare talent... so it tends to give talented singers and songwriters a leverage and power which other band members don't have.

Even if the other band members don't appreciate it, band management and record companies etc. realise that the singer is usually what sells the band, so they also tend to get the extra support from companies which instrumentalists don't get. Even if the singer and the entire band wanted to go seperate ways, chances are the record company would try to keep the singer with them and leave the entire rest of band out in the cold.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote