Music Banter - View Single Post - Music world cup
Thread: Music world cup
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 01:00 AM   #34 (permalink)
Wild7Dustr
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba
^^Third Eye would beg to differ with that.

Also, fan or not of the band, Lateralus is on the brink of conceptional genius. The fact that Tool was more raw and primative back in the early 90's does not mean they are not just as good on Lateralus. They are just as good, if not better, under a different light.
I don't care if other people differ!!!Hell, I already said that PF has their fans and "other people" even on this thread might disagree with me.Everyone has their opinion and I said mine, as in PF ain't that great.Lateralus is a great album too and that's why I bought it.Honestly, no matter who says what, Undertow is the better album as a whole.I'd be able to listen to Undertow all the way thru without thinking "oh, lets skip this track" or "damn, didn't I already hear a similar track to this on the album?", while Lateralus is simply good, but not great (even for the band).I also do believe the possibility of them being better musicians today than they were earlier in their careers.Hell, every musician learns a few new tricks or ways of taking their playing to an even further level after a couple of years and I would obviously know because I myself am a musician that has been playin' and jammin' for many years.I have the experience to play the advanced stuff, whether on drums or guitar, although I'm mainly a drummer nowadays.I'm therefore influenced by Danny Carey because he is a great and unique drummer.Other than the amazing talent of Danny Carey, the long, structured songs that Tool creates and the basic fact that they are a great hard-rock band, Tool is still nowhere in the league of being as advanced of musicians as Opeth are.Opeth takes long songs to another level while making them not only listenable, but also seem more like 3 minute songs than 12 minute epics as they are.Seriously, the way Opeth is able to take their talent and construct a much more melodic, yet more heavier of a song than other metal bands, including Tool, is simply amazing.Time really does fly by when you listen to Opeth because, as I already mentioned, their wonderful 12 minute epics only feel like 3 minutes simply because you just can't get enough.To close this out though, I would still like to say that no matter what Lateralus was simply a poor choice to bring up against Blackwater Park or any album for that matter.If you think that Lateralus was a good choice to put up against Blackwater Park because you think it's a more progressive version of Tool, then you've got somethin' to learn, fella.If you were a musician, as I already said I was, then you might be able to learn to understand.Musicians are supposed to (or should be encouraged/inspired to) know just about every aspect of music.I've come to believe that you simply don't know what a heavy, progressive album is if you were gonna put Tool's Lateralus up as it...lol.No offense, but get real!!!
Wild7Dustr is offline   Reply With Quote