Music Banter - View Single Post - Music world cup
Thread: Music world cup
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
magneto
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Magnet
Nowhere in my post did I say that Lateralus is a better album than Blackwater Park. I merely stated that in this competition, Lateralus won. It seems plausible that you haven't even given Lateralus a real listen, because if you did, you would know that there are no acoustic parts on the album, omitting a few reticent acoustic harmonics in "Disposition".

Do Opeth integrate tribal drum beats and unorthodox types of percussion into their music? Where's the tabla in Blackwater Park? Where are the philosophical, spiritual lyrics and abstruse references to alchemy, astrology, mathematics, and religion? Spirals are mentioned several times in the "Lateralus" lyrics, and in the song, "Lateralus", the verses, by syllable, are concurrent with the Fibonacci Sequence. The time signature is spiral-like (9/8, 8/8, 7/8) as well. Do you ever hear anything this transcendent and complex from Opeth? No. Are Opeth this coincidingly intellectual and emotional? No. Are Opeth a bad band because of this? Not at all. They're just a different band that serves a different purpose, and depending on your personal rendition of 'beauty', either one of these albums could be more beautiful than the other.

As for Pink Floyd Vs. Hendrix, I would have to go with Dark Side Of The Moon.
First of all I did not attack you for prefering Lateralus.... It is your right to prefer any album you want and I respect this right absolutely.

I think that there are more acoustic parts than those you mention. Isn't there an acoustic part in the middle of ""Ticks and Leeches""? Aren't there acoustic parts in the track Lateralus? What about Parabol, the acoustic intro of Parabola?

Anyway with your vote the final score is Floyd- Hendrix 5-4
Dark Side of the Moon goes to the next round
Crowquill will pick the next two albums.
magneto is offline   Reply With Quote