Music Banter - View Single Post - Music world cup
Thread: Music world cup
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #43 (permalink)
Wild7Dustr
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Magnet
Nowhere in my post did I say that Lateralus is a better album than Blackwater Park. I merely stated that in this competition, Lateralus won. It seems plausible that you haven't even given Lateralus a real listen, because if you did, you would know that there are no acoustic parts on the album, omitting a few reticent acoustic harmonics in "Disposition".

Do Opeth integrate tribal drum beats and unorthodox types of percussion into their music? Where's the tabla in Blackwater Park?Are Opeth a bad band because of this? Not at all. They're just a different band that serves a different purpose, and depending on your personal rendition of 'beauty', either one of these albums could be more beautiful than the other.
I know that you're trying to direct this comment at someone else, but I still have something to say about Lateralus, Tool, Opeth, etc...

Obviously you did say that Lateralus won (duh, we can all see that it won by votes) and that you do prefer Lateralus and hold it so highly.If you wanna judge my opinion by how many times I or anyone else heard Blackwater Park over Lateralus, I'd have to tell you that, honestly, I've actually heard the Lateralus album more than the Blackwater Park album.Blackwater Park is clearly the better one and I don't even have to be a musician, like I have been for many years, to understand this.Blackwater Park is/was a great step for Opeth in their creative process, while Lateralus is only < or = to the album they recorded 5 years earlier, Aenima.Opeth creates greatness in every 1-2 years, while Tool takes nearly 5 years between each album.

I was looking at all of the Tool and Opeth albums I owned and came up with these years between each album being recorded:

Tool:
1. Opiate (1992)...barely an album, but still good.

2. Undertow (1992)...one of Tool's best albums, period!!!

3. Aenima (1996)...took 4 years, but still nearly as good as Undertow.

4. Lateralus (2001)...took 5 more years, doesn't musically reach to the level of the previous 2 albums, but it is still a good album.

5. 10,000 Days (2006)...took 5 more years to create songs = to or worse than Lateralus and not really many actual "songs" at that.A big disappointment making me actually appreciate and become more interested in A.P.C. than ever before.I don't know man, I guess all of these new albums with "10,000" in them are simply steps down for the band.Examples are Disturbed's 10,000 Fists and Tool's 10,000 Days.You may be right, Lateralus is better than this album, but definitely not better than the others, so get over it!!!

Opeth:
1. Orchid (1994)...great dark, melodic album for the band with no filler songs like Tool usually has.

2. Morningrise (1996)...another album in the unique Opeth collection.Once again Opeth is able to come out with great music in a short amount of time and an even better album coming out the next year...

3. My Arms, Your Hearse (1997)...an incredible album that is focused on brutal, dark heaviness, yet still melodic.The definition of aggression and heaviness combined with remarkable beauty.One of my faves of theirs.

4. Still Life (1999)...only 2 years later Opeth puts out yet another incredible album without sacrificing their sound or image.This is also one of my faves which makes it hard to choose whether I like this or M.A.Y.H. more.

5. Blackwater Park (2001)...only another 2 years, not 5 years like Tool seems to do.This is probally my favorite of Opeth's, but now that I think about it I could pick nearly any of their albums as favorites because they are all so damn good.

6. Deliverance (2002)...only one year Opeth puts out another great album which seems like chapter two of Blackwater Park.This album and Blackwater Park could be considered the White Album of their career.With this band being as advanced of musicians that they are though, I could possibly see them coming out with another great "White Album" again...who knows?

7. Damnation (2003)...another good album.This is the one album that I actually don't own, but I have heard this album and think it's also quite good, especially being mainly acoustic.As experienced guitarists/musicians say, if you can play something great with an acoustic, you can do wonders with an electric.I'd like to hear Tool try to make a good acoustic album...lol.

8. Ghost Reveries (2005)...wow, another incredible album, but what else can I expect from this band?I have yet to be disappointed with their talent and creativity.I saw their live tour this year and they put on one of the best ever metal shows.After seeing them live, I actually get even more of a chill in my spine when I hear Opeth's songs (especially the one's I remember being played live).Those intensified chills in my spine are forever there after seeing them play live.They are simply geniuses with creativity in both the dark brutality of metal with the melody to take any song to another level.

I still like Tool and Opeth, but Blackwater Park clearly wins over Lateralus.If you don't believe me then fu(k you, I'm an experienced musician that has played for many years and you're not...lol!!!Adding to that, it is evident that Opeth has went up hill in creativity and greatness, while Tool has clearly gone down hill.Learn a little bit and quit being so jealous, youngster, when you're clearly wrong.Nice talkin', but I've wasted enough time on teaching you about music.The lesson is now officially done...next!!!
Wild7Dustr is offline   Reply With Quote