Music Banter - View Single Post - The History Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
tdoc210
ashes against the grain

A History of the Band Emerson Lake and Palmer

The Progressive Rock Band Emerson Lake and Palmer formed in 1970, it was originally going to be called HELP, Hendrix, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, but as you all know Jimmy Hendrix had just died so he was unable to be in the band. The band contained (obviously) Keith Emerson (keyboards), Greg Lake (Guitar, Bass, and Vocals). And Carl Palmer (Drums, and Percussion). Keith Emerson was formerly from the band The Nice, Greg Lake came from doing vocals on King Crimson’s album In the Court of The Crimson King, and Carl Palmer hailed from the band Atomic Rooster.

The First Four Years

The first four years of the bands history, were quite a productive period, in which Greg Lake produced the first six albums of the band. These albums were ELP (1970), which was followed by the concept album Tarkus (1971) .Then, came the release of their first live album, Pictures at an Exhibition, Which was released in 1972. Also in 1972 ELP released the album trilogy, which would have their highest selling single, From the Beginning. In 1973 they released Brain Salad Surgery, their best selling album to date. The sleeve of the album is also very widely known. Their next album would be a live album entitled Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends, this album was released in 1974.

Late 70’s

After a three year break to find a new way of expressing themselves musically, they came out with the two Works albums. Works Vol. 1, and Works Vol. 2. Then ELP released the flop Love Beach, (1978). This album was the groups “contract fulfillment album. The group dismissed as trash and Palmer complained about the cover.

The new ELP

In 1985, ELP reformed with a new drummer, Cozy Powell, this is because Palmer did not want to be part of a reunion (he decided to stay with the group ASIA).

Reunion

In 1992 the band reformed with the original members to record Black Moon(1992), and In The Hot Seat Unfortunately Emerson had stress related issues in his left hand, and this led to the album not being as good as it could be.

Album List
Emerson, Lake and Palmer (1970)
Tarkus (1971)
Pictures at an Exhibition (live) (1972)
Trilogy (1972)
Brain Salad Surgery (1973)
Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends (1974) (live)
Works, Vol. 1 (1977)
Works, Vol. 2 (1977)
Love Beach (1978)
In Concert (live) (1979)
Black Moon (1992)
Live at the Royal Albert Hall (live) (1993)
Works Live (1993)
In the Hot Seat (1994)
Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 (live) (1997)
We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that.
tdoc210 is offline   Reply With Quote