Music Banter - View Single Post - Alternative Dead?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2004, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Music Major
Groupie

Smile Depends on what you mean by dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlejo
I was wondering what you guys think about this whole idea? It doesn't seem like many up and coming bands/artists want to be in the whole "alternative" setting, and choose more of a pop/punk way of being. Also, not many alternative groups are making it that big anymore (besides Dave Matthews Band, but they are old school)
It's dead if you mean what's on the Billboard Top 40 Charts. Then again I never pay attention to those any way. The golden age of alternative is probably past but I think there's still a lot of interest.

I like a lot of groups I find on College Air charts. A good source to find new stuff. Death Cab For Cutie, The Shins, Mojave 3 and even some older bands like Flaming Lips, Guided By Voices, Joe Strummer (formerly of the Clash) and the Mescaleros are really cool. Well, at least I think so.

Also found a good internet radio source recently. Flying Funk Radio plays just about all the songs off the CDs from all those bands and more. They also play classic rock stuff but since most of the songs are not hits but "album cuts" as they call them, I find it's great to listen to for checking out the stuff on the College Air charts.
Music Major is offline   Reply With Quote