Music Banter - View Single Post - The OH-SO FASCINATING ancestry or ethnicity thread.
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #53 (permalink)
right-track
Atchin' Akai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver
Well, I've got to stress that this is based on the Americans I have met in person (of which there have been quite a lot - about 50 different Americans, I've spent a decent amount of time with at one point or another). What I'll tell you about is the way in which the Americans I met tended to come across in person, and from this I'll touch upon how this turns into a problem for them and how its makes their social/interpersonal adjustments difficult. These impressions were based on my own impressions and also the many, many comments which I'd received from other non-Americans on these same people. Most of the time these comments were freely offered, some of the time I asked for comments and was given them. Why? I'm very inquisitive, that's why.

1. Most Americans I've met speak at a volume which most other cultures would consider to be shouting. To many people of other cultures, this would appear that the American person is actually trying to intimidate or force their views upon them, even though the American is actually just talking like they've been talking their whole life.
2. ALL but one of the Americans I've met complain constantly whenever they get the chance. Coupled with the loud voice, this gives other people the impression that they're just being attention seekers, although I'd be pretty sure that its seen as perfectly normal by them to complain when there is a problem.
3. The Americans I've met generally came across as argumentative and aggressive to me and people of other cultures. As far as I can tell, the idea in American culture is to put your ideas and opinions out there and allow other people to criticise it, while you do the same with other people's opinions. Although these Americans were used to this argumentative behaviour, most other cultures aren't so directly argumentative, so people of this culture get very offended when their ideas are rudely shot down, with no soft-touches.

Sorry, I've got to get my dinner, so I'll leave you with this little firecracker. I've not answered the question yet, but I'm hungry...
So, there you have it. DRMO'S advice to an American abroad is to stop being a loud mouthed pushy Yank...and "when in Rome", chill the fuck out!

On the opposite side of the coin, this will probably explain why (in my understanding) Americans find the English so polite. Which is a misconception.

No right or wrongs here, just cultural differences...
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote