Music Banter - View Single Post - Scottish people appreciation thread.
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 06:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine
And also, which? There are about 3 distinctly different accents within 20 mins of where I live.
Where do you live? Its true that the accents vary a lot (same thing with the UK). One of my friends is from Galway and I've got her accent down to a tee, such that before I've answered her phone and talked for a few minutes before having to explain to the person at the other end that it actually wasn't her... which is particularly funny as I'm a guy with quite a deep normal speaking voice...

Anyway, when I repeat her accent to my friend Mark (who's parents are from Cork) he completely denies that I can do an Irish accent. So yeah, they're different enough that people who've only heard Cork and Dublin accents don't recognise Galway accents as being Irish. They sound American, apparently. I've been told that Belfast (and most Northern Irish ones) sound scottish by a lot of people too.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote