Music Banter - View Single Post - got any good reads?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #89 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

Some easy reads.. links for reviews/summary.

The Ear, The Eye, and the Arm - Nancy Farmer

Redwall (and series) - Brian Jacques

Ender's Game (and an the subsequent series) - Orson Scott Card

Some not so easy reads...

Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse

The Stranger - Albert Camus

Candide - Voltaire

The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri This is where you will find the Inferno, the most famous of the 3 books. The other books are also excellent, so read the whole thing and not just the Inferno. This is also where you will find the famous quote

"Abandon all Hope, Ye who enter here" the most used translation...

My favorite Shakespeare (I'm one of the few, sad people I know who has read his complete works =/ )

The Tempest

Macbeth (where the Sound and Fury quote comes from)

As You Like It (my fav Shake comedy)

Really I would put more, but the more I think about it - the more exhausting it seems... some authors..

Hesse, Hemmingway, more Camus!, Tolstoy, Bradbury, ASIMOV (why haven't I seen him in the thread yet?) more Palahniuk, Tom Wolfe anyone? Please someone get some Vonnegut up here... Galapagos for the win. I'm tired. Any body a philosophy fan out there? Haven't seen any DesCartes, Rousseau, saw someone recommend Plato's Republic... that's not a fun read, imo. Interesting, but defintely not fun. Get Sartre's "No Exit" or Beckitt's "Waiting for Godot" these are plays, but freakin' awesome... UH, for a fun read someone grab some Neil Simon. Biloxi Blues GO.

Hell, if you want good Plato get something short... Allegory of the Cave is a fun read.