Music Banter - View Single Post - The Smiths
Thread: The Smiths
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 04:29 AM   #34 (permalink)
right-track
Atchin' Akai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmarshall
i personally love the smiths and have done for not a very long time, but after my girlfriend played them non-stop for two months i was sucked in and now love them

they defined indie and morissey gave hope to geeks from the 80's to be who they wanted to be. their legacy is huge and they have been inspiration for the libertines, oasis, bloc party and so on

at first they can seem, in a word, *cheesy* but when you think of the context these thoughts soon vanish. they were lead by a new romantic geek who was depressed and had a lot of love to give but is celabate and never been in love

they came from manchester where life is pretty dull to say the least and wrote the most beautiful songs from the 80's

if they do not appeal to you, keep on listening or read morisseys lyrics and i assure you that you will love them within the month

there is a light and it never goes out
Manchester is far from dull. Tough, bleak at times, harsh maybe...but never dull.
Living in Manchester gives a person plenty to draw from life, as is probably the case with Morrissey and for that matter a seemingly endless list of Mancunian lyricists.
I agree with your points about The Smiths though.
Their legacy will inspire bands for years to come.

Edit: My idea of "dull" would be living in Surrey.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote