Music Banter - View Single Post - best ska band
Thread: best ska band
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 07:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
All_Nite_Dinah
Not Impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly
listen, i'm not going to argue and get all angry because that seems to be what fuels your little fire and you can just calm yourself down. all i am saying is yes, while the toasters could be considered a 2tone band, they were not affiliated with the 2tone (2nd wave) movement in any way (and were not on 2tone records) so technically i believe they would be considered a third wave band with a 2tone sound. simple as that. can't you just accept the fact that people do divide ska into waves and think for a minute about how this could absolutely make sense?
I always thought its funny that people acctually think Im getting excited about this kind of stuff. But anyway back on subject. 2tone is a type of ska, third wave is not. Just because a band wasn't on 2tone records dosnt mean they dont play 2-tone. There were LOTS of ska bands during that era that had no affiliation with 2tone records at all i.e. The Volcanoes, The Loafers, The Ska-Dows, etc. The toasters are a 2tone band. They play 2 tone ska. Third wave, first wave, and second waves are not genres of music. Just overgeneralized groupings of bands. By the logic of waves The Slackers, Suicide Machines, and Toasters all play the same type of music. That dosnt sound right to me.

On a seperate note. I thought we were having a civil argument? I seriously think you guys blow **** waaaay out of proportion. If you have a different opinion about music than someone else than your pretty likely too voice your opinion. This is what message boards are for arnt they? Exchanging opinions and ideas?
All_Nite_Dinah is offline   Reply With Quote