Music Banter - View Single Post - New Country vs. Old Country
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ostromite
Groupie

Default New Country vs. Old Country

Personally, I can't stand new country music. It has turned into little more than pop music with a Southern accent. The only country musicians who are any good nowadays are the old greats who are still kicking and doing concerts.

Country used to be the white blues, more or less, an expression of loneliness and heartache through simple songwriting and pure emotion. I love old country music, it's raw, emotional, and timeless. Great country artists were Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, and, the greatest of them all, Johnny Cash. Now, it's all The Dixie Chicks, Toby Keith, and whatever new blonde girl from Shantyville, Alabama picked up a guitar and had a recording session this week. It's a disgrace, the genre has died.

And by the way, don't bring up Garth Brooks. He's not country. Country singers don't retire after ten years, they play until they die. Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, they played until they died, and I can guarantee you Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard will do the same thing.