Music Banter - View Single Post - Ultimate Guitarist Poll
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 11:27 AM   #225 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthepotter View Post
I'm curious to know anyone's opinion. First off before I even begin wth the question, I would like everyone to know THAT I AM NOT RACIST! That being said if anyone says it then your just trying to start ****. Ok, now do any of you think that Hendrix would have been as popular if he hadn't started playing that kind of rock in that time frame, or if he were Caucasian and not African American? Just wondering because I am not saying he wasn't good I am just saying that if he would have started playing a year later, and wasn't like one of the first African American guitarist, would he have been as popular?

You remember that thing called the British Invasion that happened in the early 60s? , y`know Stones , Beatles , Kinks , Yardbirds , Animals blah blah blah.

I think you`ll find they were hugely influenced by 'African American' artists who came about before them.In turn the success of those bands gave an audience to people who came later (Which is one of the reasons why Hendrix relocated to London)

With an audience ready for that kind of music , plus his ability , his showmanship & his songs yes he would have been a big deal regardless of being the first 'African American' guitarist , even though he wasn`t. You forget the guy was playing in bands 10 years or so before he made it in his own right.It`s not like he was some overnight success.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote