Music Banter - View Single Post - Why...
Thread: Why...
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
most up-and-coming bands' lyrics are not copyrighted. and even if they were, putting their lyrics out into the public domain put them at risk for being stolen and used by more namely bands. and if a more namely band uses their lyrics, such as in a hit song, and then the original bands cd gets more widely promoted, most people would accuse the original band of ripping off the more namely band, contrary to the actual.
The United States Copyright Office says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.copyright.gov
Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright.
Which means that all up and coming bands lyrics are copyrighted, automatically, provided they are created in a fixed form. That means an audio recording or in text.

Personally, I think its a combination of people being paranoid about having their music 'stolen' and the same people being ignorant to the actual working of copyright law. I would WANT people to copy my work, so that I can claim my money from them!
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote