Music Banter - View Single Post - Why...
Thread: Why...
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 03:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Magnet View Post
You can't misinterpret a song. The meaning of a song all depends on who's listening to it.
I think you can misinterpret a song, if the person/people who wrote the song wanted to communicate something specific and you got a different message then I believe that would be misinterpretation. It doesn't necessarily mean that you got less from the song (you may even got more from it), but you could interpret it in a way they didn't intend.

I don't have as much of an issue with lacking lyrics for bands that create more enigmatic, musically complex or instrumentally focussed styles (for example, Tool who I don't love, nor think are progressive as you well know, but they aren't basic either and for such a style I'm ok with hearing the whole thing as the lyrics and vocals aren't the sole focus.

Its bands like this (and better versions of the same)

http://www.myspace.com/bootlegpoets

That particularly annoy me with their lack of readable lyrics, as I'm pretty sure that when your backing is simple and repetitive, the vocals and words are should be communicating something good and part of that, to me, is having lyrics that everybody can get into. Yes, the example I gave are a local unsinged band, who I thought were a particularly obvious example of my particular gripe.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote