Music Banter - View Single Post - Football and the English.
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #51 (permalink)
Lesbian crime spree
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
yeah, as opposed to a dozen attention deficit hyperactive europeans chasing a ball around a field.
Attention deficit?

Football is quite the opposite of that. As you say, 90 minutes frequently results in a 0-0 draw. And this is what you fail to grasp, the beauty of the game. Just one goal can settle a match, one short passage of play that may last no longer than it takes to kick a ball thirty yards and onto someone's head. And there's no guarantee you'll even see that. That's why the reward is such a big thing, and that is why people keep coming back - if there were goals every game it just would not be the same. A goal is a treat, and something to savour and be grateful for.

I'm damn well glad that you Americans are not into football, because with the money and power you have, you would probably import about a third of the worlds best players, and that would substantially dilute the quality of the major leagues.

I quite like American football and baseball, but you can keep your supersized sports. I wouldn't swop them for a rainy winter night 0-0, away at Huddersfield ;-/

PS - If you don't understand football then I emplore you to read this: fever Pitch by Nick Hornby

I didn't read it for years because I thought it would be crap, but actually, it's excellent, a thoroughly enjoyable read.