Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #1933 (permalink)
Raine
Full-Time Hellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
are you serious? everyone talks about the patriot act violating our civil liberties and such but 99.9% of them have never taken the time to actually read it. its provisions are designed to keep us safe, and if that means a few extra hours at the airport or someone keeping track of what books i check out at the local library then so be it. and its not like Bush just wrote the patriot act and made it law. it was created and voted in by many bi-partisan committes and groups, including republicans, as well as democrats and independants. so we cant put all of our problems off onto 'ol W.
The purpose of government is to maintain order and protect citizens. i do not feel protected with the patriot act in place.

Think of doctors that talk to patients over the phone. Does this not defy the whole patient doctor confidentiality?
or how about lawyers talking over the phone to a client?

And even if I was supportive of the patriot act, what's to say that the government was listening tin to a conversation that would've perhaps made it so that Foley's actions were brought to light sooner?

And even if I did support the patriot act, i just don't have enough faith in the US government that they'd know what to do with the info.

~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote