Music Banter - View Single Post - Ultimate Guitarist Poll
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 PM   #237 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmGod View Post
If this is based on skill then batio wins over both hendrix and page.
I disagree with his work being untasteful.
Have you heard his instrumental version of Dream On?
Or his Zeppelin compilation?

If its not him, then its definitely not hendrix or page.
This is more than skill, this is greatness, skill plays a very minor role in that, if any role at all.

But even in terms of skill Batio isn't that great, because everything he plays is fundementally the same in structure, sure you may say all his solos sound different (though I will never understand how) but being a shredder, that's all he does, oh yeah he can play a novelty blues song, thats not a dead ringer for versatility.

To me there are too many more important things than speed, theres also timing, improvising skills, tonality and versatility that should be taken into consideration, which many musicians dwell in much much better in than Batio... Steve Hackett for example, he can be a technical sumbitch when he wants to be, but he chooses to play tastefully rather than wanking at every oppurtunity just because he can, who cares?... Millions can do what Batio does, maybe not as fast, but in terms of style, he's just one of way too many Yngwie clones.... I simply find his music to be very uncreative and unpleasant, a bachelors degree in theory is no excuse.

Page and Hendrix may not be super skilled, but they are two of the most significant guitar players in rock music, as opposed to Batio, who isn't even important enough to be a footnote in R&R history, what's his claim to fame?... Being in Nitro?... Honestly, I think the only noteworthy and useful thing he has ever done was being Tom Morrelo's mentor.

Don't use the "you haven't heard any Batio" rebuke either, because no matter how many times I say "Yes I have" it dosen't change the fact that it's the only form of argument you people know.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote