Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #1086 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Well, I can't say that there's a particular pattern whereby people of Germans ancestry typically pose as Irish, that's just linking together the two things I'm pretty sure of:

1. There are a lot of people around who think they have Irish ancestry when they don't, or who have a little Irish blood and claim to be mostly Irish.
2. There are a lot of people around who have a lot of German ancestry who either don't know it or who don't like to acknowledge it (the first is probably much more common).

Probably a lot of people who are really more German think they are more English/Scottish/French etc. too, and people who are really more English think they are Irish and so on.

I honestly don't know why people really like going on about the Irishness thing. Sure, Irish people are nice but I wouldn't say they were any more or less interesting than people from any other place in general, so I don't know why there is such a powerful urge that people feel to link themselves to this one country.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote