Music Banter - View Single Post - Proud Vegan (Scavenger theory)
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #78 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHYMEFESTkillah View Post
I highly doubt that India is a big exporter of cow hide, considering the dominant religion is Hinduisn which views cows as sacred...
Well, that's only really (female) cows, rather than bulls which some Hindus are happy to kill for leather. Also, in many areas of India, not killing cows is a practical thing, rather than religious as live cows produce milk. For some people its fine to use the remains of a dead cow for what you need. Also, something like 15% of the population is Muslim, who have no religious affinity for the cow, plus a lot of sikhs and christians. As the Indian state is secular and areas like the north-west are prodiminently muslim/sikh and Kerala is mostly Christian, in these parts of the country at least they would have a certain freedom to do what they want with cows.

In India I bought two pairs of leather shoes and a leather jacket, all made in India and definitely of some kind of leather (I was told it was cow). Also, I was told that the next town from where I stayed was a 'big leather producing town', so I think there is a lot of cow (well, bull probably) hide production going on there... and that was in Tamil Nadu which is a very Hindu area.