Music Banter - View Single Post - Who Sux More? NickleBack or Puddle Of Mudd
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #38 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

haha.

What are people's issues with Nickleback? Nickleback are, COMMERCIALLY speaking, a good band! They write catchy melodies and hooks that are radio-friendly. They churn out hit after hit.

Now, don't get me wrong - sure, their music may be derivative, unoriginal, redundant, clichéd, even ridiculous, but your casual music listener likes it! They write for the mainstream masses, and among those bands who are attempting to do this and have this in mind when writing, Nickleback are pretty much the best of the lot!

Commercial rock ain't art, folks. The purpose is to design a product and make as much money out of it as possible. It's a craft. And these Canadians are skilled craftsmen...if (obviously) not particularly musically talented or virtuosic.

On the side...it pisses me off when I see critics review Nickleback as if they're supposed to be anything besides derivative, and give their albums 2 stars for that reason. And then, they give Shakira's latest works 90/100. Shakira's music is among the most derivative, clichéd garbage I've ever heard. What happened to consistency, I wonder...