Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Best Albums of 2006 Thread..(Many merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #134 (permalink)
Strummer521
Pepper Emergency!

1. The Life Pursuit - Belle & Sebastian

I'm too big a fan not to pick this one. It really does take a slightly new direction and come up with some stuff I'd rank toward the top end of their catalogue. The grooves are much more prevalent ("Sukie in The Graveyard", "Blues Are Still Blue") and the hooks are dynamite ("White Collar Boy")

2. Boys and Girls in America - The Hold Steady

Sweeping, Epic... I have to concur with the Bruce Springsteen comparisons. But they sound more like quality Springsteen in has prime than the man himself has in years. it takes very casually ordinary events in teen/young life...and glamorizes them in that Springsteen way by going a little over the top with the description to make working-class broken dreams seem larger than life, giving them wings and making them in a way that they serve as symbol for many of life's elements for so many of the world's people (rich, poor or in between), but by holding them up to the light...also reveals how vacuous they really are.

3. Alright, Still - Lily Allen

When a girl says to her ex-lover, "You never made me come." in a straight-ahead pop song, you know you've got something unique on your hands. Catchy as the best pop from many of the years that passed before it, yet cerebral and astute, in a new-age non-intellectual sort of way. Plus... the production and her accent (so sexy)! Though...if you've heard the single "Smile"...then I didn't need to explain any of this to you.
Strummer521 is offline   Reply With Quote