Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You`ve Discovered This Year
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Default Albums You`ve Discovered This Year

Right so i`m not going to make this a top 10 because there are millions of those around already.
Anyway there`s already a thread about the best albums of 2004 so to do something a little different how about writing about some old albums you discovered in 2004. Oh and don`t just write a list , lists are dull. Give reasons why you like , why you chose it ect ect.
Anyway some of the stuff i`ve picked up this year....

Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
I`d been meaning to pick up some of his stuff for a while now but just never got around to it.I bought this in April , it`s STILL in my CD player . Thats just how good it is.

Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido
Hawkwind were one of those bands I avoided because I was never sure what to make of them. On the one hand you had a bunch of hippies of whom I remember having to sit through a 20 minute live version of Master Of The Universe as a kid at some friends house, which was like torture. On the other hand they used to have Lemmy in the band & John Lydon & most of the original punks were big fans.Anyway , decided to give this a shot & was glad I did. In fact if we`re talking early 70s heavy rock i`d rather listen to Hawkwind than Sabbath these days.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Makes Radioheads Kid A sound like Atomic Kitten`s greatest hits.

Mr Scruff - Trouser Jazz
While on the subject of jazz , nice warm jazzy feel with cool electro beats to give it a modern slant.The perfect chill out album.

The Prisoners - A Taste Of Pink
Obscure early 80s garage band , don`t know an awful lot about them other than they were generally regarded by some people in the know to be a well kept secret & then someone decided this album needed to be re-issued in CD format.Well done that man.Kind of like Wire , but more looser.

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Songs In The Key Of Life seems to get all the attention but I like this one better.Maybe because it`s shorter & has less love songs on it.But mainly because it has Higher Ground & Livin For The City on it,easily 2 of the best songs he ever wrote.

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
Anyone who doesn`t like, or dance to blaxploitation movie soundtracks has no taste in music whatsoever.

Fourtet - Rounds
Would be on my best albums of 2004 list , only it didn`t come out in 2004 so it`s on this one.Like an instrumental Radiohead , if you want an easy comparison.

Happy Mondays - Thrills Pills & Bellyache
I just woke up one morning & realised I didn`t own this album. 2 days later & £3 worse off I soon fixed that & everything was alright in the world.

The Pogues - Rum Sodomy & The Lash
Songs about Drinking , ****ing , fighting ,love, war & death, all sung by a bona fide legend. What more could you possibly want.

The Fall - Live At The Witch Trials
Just re-released remastered with a 2 disc set at a low price , ANYBODY who calls themselves a punk & doesn`t own this now has no excuse not to.

Can - Tago Mago
I actually discovered this album ages ago , but every listen I find something new that I never noticed before, so it`s in this years list, and it`ll probably be in next years too.

The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
You can shove your Sgt Pepper

Ok thats me done
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote