Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Grunge Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #113 (permalink)
gottaSCREM
A Thorn For Every Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
The whole grunge thing to me was just one of the worst musical movements ever and showed up everything that is bad about the music industry.
Which of course to me is the biggest irony of all seeing as though we`re constantly told Nirvana 'Broke the inderground' and 'changed the whole of music'.
For a genre that took about 10/12 years to die of you`d expect more than 2 bands of any merit to come from it (Soundgarden & Nirvana) As for the rest of them. Alice In Chains just wrote MTV friendly angst rock with a couple of ballads to get more airplay , Pearl Jam were just some dull stadium rock band who just happened to be from the right city at the right time who just had the foresight to namecheck the likes of The Dead Boys & Neil Young rather than Led Zeppelin.Mudhoney spent their whole career milking every last drop of credibility from the one decent song they wrote (Touch Me I`m Sick), as for the rest , well they were just major label puppets signed to get a quick payoff from Nirvana's success.
As for the legacy of grunge and they breaking of the underground , well where is it?
As someone who actually listened to independent music in the mid - late 90s I didn`t see an awful lot of bands I liked suddenly getting any exposure. All I saw was a couple of hundred Nirvana clones.The legacy of grunge is hundreds of grunge lite bands making naff middle of the road staduim rock appearing on MTV over & over again , I would name names but everybody knows who i`m talking about here. between 1998 - 2002 you couldn`t move for all this crap. Meanwhile the 'real' underground stayed exactly that.Bands like Pavement , Slint , Mogwai , Thee Headcoats , Smog and many others who I consider to be the true bands who influenced modern underground music didn`t benefit from Nirvana's success and the whole grunge movement whatsoever.

The whole thing was a big con by record companies to try & tap into the 'alternative' music fan.They were going for the anti establishment dollar , and by God did people fall for it in their millions.

Number one if you watched the movie Hype! you'll realize nearly all the grunge bands didn't want to be big stars it sort of just happened, all of the big bands even all of the smaller bands were garage bands not intending to make it big. When you bring up songs written by other bands and songwriters this shows that the bands that re-did the song had respect towards the artist
that originally made it, it's no wonder why those songs were good because those bands like Mudhoney spent days trying to make the song great and it was a very great song as well as all of the other re-did songs.
gottaSCREM is offline   Reply With Quote