Music Banter - View Single Post - The Big Bostonian Vs. The Croatster
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #113 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
1 in 4 at an ivy league uni? BUUULLLLSSSHHHIIIIIITTTTT! and no, MOST americans have not been to college. the people you've met yeah, but that is in NO WAY indicative of the total population.
Which is exactly my point. Legal immigrants to rich countries (excluding those countries which people have fled for political reasons perhaps) tend to be the most educated, as their qualifications means they have the easiest time getting a visa to this new country. Likewise, if you have met people from other countries who were taking part in development projects in 3rd world countries or who were attending academic conferences you would tend to encounter a much higher proportion of very qualified and educated people.

Both situations can result in the same biased perception if you take the people you meet to be representative of the country they came from. Like Adidass said, I was being sarcastic... or rather, not sarcastic but just pointing out the innacuracy of Big3's statement by showing how innacurate I could be if I wanted used the same logic. I know that it's not 1 in 4 people who go to the Ivy League in the US but if I had to base my knowledge purely on the edudcation of the people from the US I'd met and to use no other source then this would be a perfectly reasonably assumption. Likewise, if Big3 has based his knowledge on the people he's met and not bother to research more into it then I think I can understand how he came to make his statement about good education in India, however innacurate it may be in reality.

Actually, to clarify, there is a lot of very good education in India it just isn't available to the majority of the population.