Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Nirvana/Kurt Cobain Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #1428 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
If you think a band loses credibility because they joined a major label, you are clearly an idiot.

The whole misconcept that bands who stick to indie labels care more about music than people who don't is complete garbage, in fact its rather the opposite, if you do care about your music, and you want to share it with people, signing on to a major label would be helluva lot easier, sure theres the topic of creative controll and record companies that will try to suck you out of it, which is why its very wise to be decisive about the company you join, Nirvana and Pearl Jam clearly knew this.

Overall, like I said, if you think a bands label determines their musical quality or their overall credibility as a band, not only are you a complete moron but you also deserve to die... Modest Mouse for example, are equally horrible no matter what their record label is.
All major record labels care about is making money. Money means selling lots of records, selling lots of records means appealing to a wide audience, and appealing to a wide audience means writing watered down, catchy, easily digestible drivel. Generally, bands that join mainstream record labels and try to fight this don't stay on major record labels very long. Besides, caring more about the music has nothing to do with sharing it with as wide an audience as possible. Call me an elitist, but I'd rather make exactly the music I want to make and appeal only to a very small audience who seek out original music, than streamline my music so I can get it to more people.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote