Music Banter - View Single Post - 1 in 10
Thread: 1 in 10
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 07:42 AM   #263 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver View Post
Sexual desires aren't a choice, although acting upon them is. In this debate I'd tend to assume there isn't the suggestion that people should act dishonestly with respects to their sexual desires (meaning to have sex with women when really they are attracted to men or vice-versa).

To believe that homosexual desires were a matter of 'choice', you'd also have to believe that heterosexual desires were a matter of 'choice', which I also find to be both ridiculous and offensive suggestion.

Although I don't believe that people are born straight, *** or bisexual outright, I'd agree with what Ian seemed to be saying, which is that your sexuality is (like everything else) a combination of your genetics and the environment in which you grew up. And both of these factors are beyond a person's control, so there is no way they had any 'choice' in the matter. Maybe if I'd born in Marijan's place I'd be just as *** as he is, maybe if he'd been born in my place he'd be just as straight as I am, or maybe genetic factors would have given a completely different result.

Whatever the case, might I suggest that anybody who proposes the 'homosexuality is choice' case in the future first takes a long, hard look at their own sexuality and considers how this opinion reflects upon them.

HETEROSEXUALITY IS A CHOICE????
I think Oojay was implying the desire itself is a choice, not acting upon it. And not acting upon our sexual desires is as unnatural as they make homosexuality seem. Very good point on heterosexuality then being a choice also, if anyone can choose who they're attracted to, I'm sure most gays would have chosen to be attracted to the opposite sex, just because life would have been much easier. And just for the sake of the argument, Oojay should try to be attracted to men, see how that goes.

But I have to say, I don't see how the environment I grew up in could have had anything to do with me being gay. I should have been straight as an arrow given the general climate surrounding homosexuality in my family, village, island and country. My brother grew up in the same environment and he's as straight as they get. That's why I'm leaning more towards the theory that sexual preferences are determined at conception, and there's no amount of heterosexual indoctrination that could turn someone straight, I'm living proof of that.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote