Music Banter - View Single Post - Fatso Jetson
Thread: Fatso Jetson
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Merkaba
Whitewater!

Default Fatso Jetson

Today I downloaded an album called Cruel and Delicious by this Palm Desert band and I must say, on a scale of "1" to "Kyuss who?" these guys come around about a "fuck Queens of the Stone Age and their too frequent incosistencies, try this".

Masterminded by brothers Larry and Mario Lalli, they have been active since 1994 and have stayed very much underground, ironic given they (the brothers) have been tagged as the fathers of desert rock paving the way for early Sons of Kyuss. You think we'd know their names pretty well by now?

The album I have is the latest of five, this being released in 2002. The first two were released on Greg Ginn's SST label after he was pleased with them as openers at one of his shows in Sep'94. The next two were recorded with Man's Ruin Records and Bongload Custom Records respectively. Brant Bjork played guitar for them around 1997 when they and Fu Manchu released a couple of splits together.

The music from Cruel and Delicious has a huge grain of blues, you can hear it seeping through in many songs via the beats or random Harmonica, but they offer more too. Track 2 and 11 are fairly punkish and the tempo's are further mixed up with a slower track 5 and some rocking acoustic like guitar happenings in between. 13 tracks all up and I've heard that this is probably their most consistant album yet. Their previous efforts are more avant-garde so I've heard...so naturally I want to get my hands on them.

All in all the best way I can describe this is under it's genre of desert rock. But it's desert rock done properly and it's like the album QOTSA could never get out of their system, a dirty perfectly varied Rated R.

Some songs are being uploaded.