Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Album Of All Time (revealed)
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #134 (permalink)
Friday
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
Apparently you missed my "Biggest Fanboi Evar" self-tag. I can safely assume that I've listened to every Queen album moreso than any 3 board members combined can say they've heard Bohemian Rhapsody in their lifetime. I take pride in my Fanboidom as they are the only band I've really been loyal to for the better part of 90% of my life. While the first statement seems overblown, it should make clear my love for the chaps from the island, eh govs?

Also, Queen never had to force anything - it may seem that way because of their style, their show etc... I think you are putting down Night At The Opera because you took stock in a trendy article or what someone who you respect said about it. I bet if you took a listen with un-jaded ears, you will find a masterpiece in all of it's own right...
I'll let the last paragraph go seeing as that was a fair enough comment. For your information, I have actually listened to at least 90% of Queen's back catalogue myself (including video live footage, documentaries and Smile recordings) and so I've actually been there and done that. Meaning I can take a look at Queen's music and make a fair overview. What I say about them is not from a "trendy article" at all, but from first hand experience.

If you compare A Night At The Opera with earlier Queen records, it seems to have a more stereotypical feel to it. You can already see Queen slipping into that stereotypical sound that they are known for. Queen II on the other hand was quite a daring album which seemed to show big possibilities for what Queen could accomplish. I think I look at A Night At The Opera as part of Queen losing that initial potential and bite that was offered on their first records.