Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rolling Stones vs. The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #424 (permalink)
Strummer521
Pepper Emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
My second reason for addressing the all too common argument is that, since the Stones aren't given the same type of talking points in every peice of print dedicated to them (presumably because their still together, and that Keith, Mick and Charlie havn't died yet), no one knows arguments for the Stones well enough to defend them. So what you have here (and im refering to Urban here, not myself) is a stones fan who knows what he's tlaking about and making valid points based on a knowledge of a catalouge while the presumed "Beatles fan" is just saying what has been said to him.
Have you considered the fact that there may not be as many arguments possible in favor of the Stones? It's kind of hard to make original points about the Beatles when they've been praised so much in every possible way. But does that mean it's better to argue in favor of the Stones just because it's not as common? That would be just as blind as unquestioningly following the critics. It seems that there are just more forums members here that favor the Beatles. As far as knowledge of catalogue...I could easily slip into a song for song analysis between the two bands, and I'm sure many others around here could as well. But in a argument that's almost too tired to be interesting...who wants to take the time?

One point I do want to make though...Even though the Stones have had longevity that dwarfs the Beatles short span of existence, both bands have produced roughly the same amount of great albums.

The Stones: Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street

The Beatles: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The White Album, Abbey Road

I'd be willing to drop Sgt. Pepper's from the Beatles' list, since I find it massively overrated. It's not even that much of a concept album (if you think about it), and half of the songs sound like dull filler to me (that could be chalked up sheerly to personal preference though). I find their real opus to be Abbey Road, though my personal favorite is Rubber Soul.
I have to admit that I think the Stones perfected being epic within a single song without sounding indulgent and pompous ("Sympathy For The Devil" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want"), a feat that few bands have managed since. Plus they released the perfect bar-band album with Exile which they recorded in a french villa! That's just nuts. I remember coming home from the library and putting the borrowed copy of Beggar's Banquet on the stereo, sitting down and making the quick transition from puzzlement to sheer bliss. That was my discovery of classic rock, and that was the moment from which I approached music with a completely new mentality. Thinking: This is always going to be important to me.

Damn...I guess this argument is a closer call for me than I thought at first. Curse you Big3... I no longer know where I stand.