Music Banter - View Single Post - Elliott Smith
Thread: Elliott Smith
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 07:36 PM   #59 (permalink)
Strummer521
Pepper Emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Because its very pretty and good sounding? Just because a cover isn't mind blowingly different doesn't mean its bad, his cover of Jealous Guy is sick also but it isn't much different from the Lennon version.

And speaking of Thirteen, someone covered it on the tribute album (why I don't know since its not his song) and...they turned it into a techno song.

I didn't say it had to be very different to be better. It's just that when you discuss music, it's impossible to be objective, so you have to support your opinion substantially with logical reasons that go farther than, it sounds good. Liking something because it sounds good is fine and makes a lot of sense, but it doesn't go very far if you actually want to have a discussion, and isn't that what forums are for?

As far as it being pretty, I think Big Star's original is leagues ahead of Smith's version because of the harmonious blending of the three seperate guitar parts. and honestly I think the high production values do wonders for it (especially when we're talking about Big Star, arguably the best Power-Pop band of all time). Therefore I find no reason to listen to Elliott Smith's version. Where on "Concrete Jungle" Smith has stripped it down to the wire and performs it as a spectral, eerily beautiful piece of work that more conveys the desolation Marley was writing about than his own song, therefore there are two completely different tones in play there. Marley's version seems to be about perseverence and rising above adversity, while Elliott sings of that last ray of hope you see and try to grab on to before your spirits are surprisingly and totally crushed. I find very different reasons to listen to each song.

Then again...I love his take on "Walk Away Renee" mostly just because I think it sounds gorgeous. So on another level I'm with you. Though I do find the fact that Smith's voice often sounds naive and almost childlike, which makes it like listening to the song from a middle or high school kid's perspective (like Thirteen ) rather than the more mature, urbane sounds of the Left Banke or The Four Tops.

Edit: Based on past history...I'm predicting adidasss is going to hate Elliott Smith.
Strummer521 is offline   Reply With Quote