Music Banter - View Single Post - The Hold Steady
Thread: The Hold Steady
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strummer521
Pepper Emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
I don't see why I should tolerate a band that never should have left the local bar scene.
I think that's part of their appeal in a sense...and in a slightly different way than you're saying it here. They're so rooted in the culture of their hometown(Minneapolis) in the same way that Springsteen was, that they're like local colorists of the music world, which is a term that means a writer who specializes in stories that convey the distinct flavor of the locale they inhabit (like feminist author Kate Chopin as she delivered us an inside track to the Cajun lifestyle in 19th century America) and the title of the album is based on a quote from Kerouac (point being that a sense for the literary permeates their work in a way that lends itself to their thematic prowess. While they're songs are specific, they're also universal in the sense that they are kind of encapsulations of small town life for young americans. I know that you aren't concerned with the lyrics and find the music boring though... and there's not much I can do about that. I find the songs have an athemic urgency that makes them compulsively listenable. As for the White Stripes, I like "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" but mostly I just find them gimmicky.

wouldn't it be weird if we ever agreed on a band?
Strummer521 is offline   Reply With Quote