Music Banter - View Single Post - Writers Block
Thread: Writers Block
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strummer521
Pepper Emergency!

Often times I'll open a book of poetry to a random page, take a random line, transcribe it and use it as the springboard for a freewrite that usually inspires something worthwhile. If nothing else, it'll give you a starting point, suggest a topic to your mind and give you the juice to get going. Sometimes the best way to get out of a funk is to stop over-thinking it. Instead just find something random an object, a line from a book...whatever, and pull any idea out of it that you can Then freewrite without judging it in any way as you write. Usually you'll get at least a few lines that can be shaped into something more substantial and permanent. I'd say you just need to find any way you can to keep yourself writing. If you put in the effort to seek inspiration you'll often find it. A couple of weeks ago I put on Ys by Joanna Newsom and took about 3 or 4 pages of notes on it as I listened. There's not a consistent flow in it, but there are some really creative, perceptive ideas and I think I could easily create a pretty worthwhile critical essay with what I've got there. I think you just need to stop convincing yourself that it's so hard to find things to write about. The universe is infinite, and so are the possibilities. Just take the plunge and write with self-consciousness and fear.