Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Grunge Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 02:08 AM   #253 (permalink)
Moon Pix
In a very sad sad zoo

Location: "Out on tour with Smashing Pumpkins, nature kids, they don't have no function"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I`m not against feminism.
I`m just against bands , authors , journalists etc etc using a political statement to hide behind a lack of talent.
Personally Ive always hated Riot Grrl ever since I heard Bricks Are Heavy by L7. Just scream scream scream with seemingly no range in the songwriting at all, which was poor anyway. Just a few riffs cobbled together.

And I agree with what you say Urban. Using some concept like a political stance is often just a flimsy argument used to elevate bad work to a higher plateau where hoipefully no one will recognise it for the dreck that it is.

On the feminism issue, personally I always liked the fact that PJ Harvey appeared on that controversial NME cover in '92, featured lots of sexual themes in her music and called the riot grrl movement "an excuse to attack men." She refused to be accepted or be seen as being part of a scene that most likely would have accepted her simply because she disagreed with the theology and she has to be admired for that. The problem theologically with riot grrl is that as far as I can see the rage came from the fact that no man would shag them and unfortunately for us their were guitars and xerox machines lying around so it got turned into loads of badly written songs and boring fanzines.

Last edited by Moon Pix; 02-01-2007 at 02:25 AM.
Moon Pix is offline   Reply With Quote