Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic albums any true music fan should own or at least listen to
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #46 (permalink)
Strummer521
Pepper Emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Pix View Post
The writer was Jim Derogatis and in the review he described the bands lyrics as "the trite clichés of hack songwriters who just wanna get laid." Rolling Stone ran a more positive review written by Jann Wenner and when asked to explain a spokesman for Rolling Stone said that even though Wenner was not a Hootie & the Blowfish fan he was "a fan of bands that sell eight and a half million copies."
I love Derogatis. He wrote Let it Blurt about rock critic hero Lester Bangs (which makes his clash with RS unsurprising, given where his influences lie). He's still stirring up trouble too. Last I heard from him he was on a radio show discussing the angry phone message he'd recieved from Ryan Adams for a bad review. He brings an unflinching honesty to the table that I miss in reviews. I like Jann Wenner to though. In his early days, when he was having heart-to-hearts with Dylan, in which he displayed the passion missing from today's pages where music journalism is often handled like "just another job" Getting to interview people like Dylan is supposed to make a music fan feel incredibly lucky, and I want that excitement transmitted to me as I read. As for your issue with MOJO, I guess it doesn't bother me, because I find old music way more interesting than what's going on today.