Music Banter - View Single Post - Free Will?
Thread: Free Will?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #73 (permalink)
Kevorkian Logic
Imperfectly Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver View Post
. And in that respect I believe that even if it is somehow inevitable that a particular person will commit a crime due to their nature and circumstances, they should still be held responsible as it was they who committed the crime*. Further to that I have a lot of thoughts but so many I can't actually figure out which order to write them in!

*There would be a few exceptions to this, although I personally would still count anybody who commits murder, rape or serious violent crime while suffering a mental illness inherent to themselves as being just as accountable as a completely sane person.

I have to disagree in a sense with your exceptions. I do believe that in court the constant plead of insanity by the accused is often false. However, when a person has a mental illness they suffer auditory hallicuinations and they are not the kind of drug induced halliucinations where you know it is comming from some outside source. The auditory halliucinations are your thoughts, its hard to explain, I have a hard enough time grasping the concept honestly. But basically, I don't believe people who are unknowing or medicated for a mental illness should be held responsible, because they were not themselves.