Music Banter - View Single Post - Free Will?
Thread: Free Will?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #93 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimintheundertow View Post
So now that the idiot is gone I can finally make this thread.

The question is do you believe free will really exists? Why or Why Not?

No name calling bullshit. Please?

I say no. The two things determine everything about you are completely out of your control. DNA and environment. I believe in nurture over nature but dna does have a very important role in developing. If anything dna is a set of potential of how smart or strong you can be when placed in the best conditions. Everything you do is based on everything that has happened to you. I think that every reaction is a complex is system that if could possibly be recreated would happen in the same everytime. Society already believes both are influencers but why can't they be determiners?
I'm going to post a reply to your original argument, because I have yet to do so. I agree that DNA is completely out of our control, but environment, no, it's not. One, we have the ability to change and modify our environment; there's free will popping its head up. Two, we have a choice on how we chose to react to our environment; once again, free will rearing its little head.
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote