Music Banter - View Single Post - Free Will?
Thread: Free Will?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #109 (permalink)
Barnard17
My home? Discabled,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver View Post
Is it not more the case that we can always choose what we intend to do but that your choice in the first place is entirely directed by our DNA, previous experiences and the present situation (the situation provides the stimulus for your thoughts) and that the outcome of this choice similarly depends upon the same factors? Its just the "we can always choose what to do" phrase that seems a bit innacurate, as in a sense lack of free will doesn't mean people don't choose, it means their choices are directed and could probably be said to be predetermined.

I agree that a lack of free will, as far as that means your individual thoughts and actions being essentially inevitable, doesn't release you from holding responsibility for your actions. Why would it? If somebody is a criminal due to their DNA and their life experiences... they are still a criminal.
I agree. In my defence for not being clearer earlier, I'm rarely a pinnacle of eloquence at 3 am

However I do not believe in fate or destiny. We do what we do not out of freewill, but neither would I argue that there's some overriding, supernatural power deciding our actions.

Vita brevis,
Occasio praeceps
Barnard17 is offline   Reply With Quote