Music Banter - View Single Post - Sonic Youth, Man
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #87 (permalink)
Moon Pix
In a very sad sad zoo

Location: "Out on tour with Smashing Pumpkins, nature kids, they don't have no function"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
agreed...he was very innovative for his unique alternate tuning styles, he was also a big influence on kurt cobain, as both a guitarist and a songwriter.
I don't really see that personally. Thurston uses all kinds of wacked out tunings and dissonant chords that you cant play in standard tuning. All that tuning stuff was influenced heavily by Glenn Branca who he played with for a time . The difference according to people who understand this sort of thing more than me is Thurston is far wilder with his tunings than Glenn is. As a lyricist Id say that he's one of the most criminally underrated of his generation and thats because the music he makes is so radical. People simply don't pay attention to his words but if you listen to something like "Schizophrenia", thats lyrical genius right there. "Jesus had a twin who nothin' about sin", I mean c'mon, its pure poetry.

Kurt was a big fan of Sonic Youth but Nirvana were more or less a straight up rock band, albeit one with a strong punk aesthetic. Black Flag meets the Monkees. Lyrically Id say he was more influenced by Frank Black's nonsensical approach to writing where its disparate, unconnected images floating around that don't really add up to anything concrete.

He most definitely inspired Kurt but I don't think he influenced him.

Last edited by Moon Pix; 02-06-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Moon Pix is offline   Reply With Quote