Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic albums any true music fan should own or at least listen to
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #176 (permalink)
Strummer521
Pepper Emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Im not even going to look for his responce, but those voices don't have character, their affected, you can tell, and their lack of passion by way of their lack of honest signing condems them to a life of ridicule in my mind.
I don't think they'll be too damaged by any blows your mind can dish out. They'll be too busy with their sucessful careers.
Anyway...Newsom's voice is not affected. She originally felt extremely uncomfortable with her voice and only started regularly making vocal recordings when a friend of hers sent a tape to a record company without her knowledge and they loved it. If she could have sung in a more conventional way, then she would have. However her voice is totally unique. Besides, what your calling affectation, I'd see as an artist being creative with what they were given. Why is the development of a style such a crime? Music is primarily an aesthetic medium, so the level of stimulation the sound provides is more important than anything behind it. Besides the idea of "honest singing" is more than a little silly to me. Robert Plant didn't have to sing the way he did. That primal howl was an affectation. Is Led Zeppelin all the better for it? I think so.