Music Banter - View Single Post - The Indie View of Hard Rock
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

I see your point, but personally I still think that even though, as you said, The Ramones weren't out to make any artistic statements, there is something more in their music than in the average hard rock or glam band. There's a passion, and a fierce sense of rebellion, that whole attitude of just "fuck everyone" that I just never got out of bands like Twisted Sister. I mean, they sang "We're Not Gonna Take It" but I never really believed them... whereas when Black Flag sang "Rise Above" I knew they weren't about to take anyone's shit. To me, glam and hard rock were sincere in that they were all about sex and decadence, but garage and punk really were pushing the bounds on what was socially acceptable, and often puking and defocating all over them.

So basically what I'm saying is this: as a disillusioned and spirited teenager, punk rock is a lot more relevant to me than hard rock or glam rock. If I want dumb fun, that's what I'll turn to, because to me dumb fun is more about slamming into other kids at shows than wearing tights and headbanging. And when I want to listen to music that's about more than just "dumb fun," I'll turn to my Velvet Underground, my Can, my Beefheart, and all my other artsy, experimental, avant-garde, assorted pretentious crap.

In conclusion, fuck Twisted Sister.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote