Music Banter - View Single Post - Strummer's Pop Column
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strummer521
Pepper Emergency!

I was doing a thing on another forum a while ago trying to bring attention to some underrated "deep cuts" in the Beatles catalogue...

"Long, Long, Long"(The White Album)

This song cradles you softly with its sweet sincere melody and then makes you want to pump your fist when Ringo kicks in on the drums and the emotion swells. The lyrics are simple as in so many beatles songs which makes them so powerful and universal with themes like love and loss and hope for redemption that most everyone has dealt with. The guitar part is minimal but perfect and highly memorable and the melody of both the vocals and the organ are haunting and beautiful. All of these elements when added together, leave you with a song that stays with you long (no pun intended) after you hear it. It's just a shame it is a bit marred by the "experimental" noise at the end that contrasts it's beauty in an almost painfully awkward way. I think this one may be overlooked because it's not a real attenion grabber, and it takes a few listens to get the full impact, so the next time you listen to The White Album give it the attention and respect it deserves and maybe you will love it like I do.