Music Banter - View Single Post - Crowe's Songwriting Collection
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #293 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521 View Post
Personally I find poetry more interesting when it's not completely straightforward. If you're not gonna be a bit subtle, it might make more sense to write prose.
These are lyrics to a song I've written, not a stand alone poem. Although, some people might argue that lyrics are just poems set to music (although, the means are sometimes contrasting to the end variably)... in that case: All poetry does not deal with figurative language, and not all GOOD poetry deals with figurative language - so instead of applying that personal preference to all of your poetic encounters - and then telling people what makes "sense", perhaps you might go out and broaden your poetic horizon? I'm not saying this out of ignorance or spite mind you, but in fact - prose and verse (and all it entails) happens to be my field of study. "Sense" you might find in retrospect is not the best word to be throwing around (here, especially). Thank you for taking the time to read my piece.

PS.
And just so my words are not without merit, I'll point you to a couple of songs that you may or may not know that have little/no figurative language and tell a story without much subtlety:

Bob Dylan - The Hurricane
Alkaline Trio - Clavicle
The Beatles - Penny Lane

Last edited by Crowe; 02-12-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote