Music Banter - View Single Post - A Slightly Manic Monday
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Kevorkian Logic
Imperfectly Perfect

Catcher in the Rye was linear in plot, disjointed in ideas. I'm not a big fan of Virginia Woolf mainly because I spent a summer in Bryn Mawr and my teacher was obsessed with Virginia Woolf and made us read 7 of her books and about 15 of her short-stories, it was too much Woolf in such a short time. I've only read Ulysses and A Portrait of a Young Man by James Joyce. If you have read other works by him are they worth reading?

It would be hard to get Millers' Tropic of Cancer confused with Cather in the Rye, although they both deal with sex, Tropic of Cancer a bit more explicitly. I don't find it that weird that you connect those books, I can oddly enough see how you do.

I'm stumped on how you didn't think Camus' work was existential. Care to share how you connected to that idea? I'm intrigued.

As a side note on Camus, if your into the non-finction right now his essay The Myth of Sisyphus, Betwixt and Between, and Resistance, Rebellion and Death are all worth the read (especially the first 2). And if you can find it (it took me a good while to find) his short-story Drunken Butterfly is amazing(In the last few days I used aim that was my screen name). The Stranger is pretty good but it's fiction.

Haha, I feel lucky knowing about your reading/vomiting life. Another kudos though for reading while hung-over, all I ever can do hungover is stare blankly at the TV or eat a hamburger (they help so way.) You should read The Jungle hungover, i'm sure it would make you throw up. That book is vile.

And thanks for the advice about how to deal with the ultra-sensitivity. How you put it sounds like the beginning of a Jimmy Buffet song for some reason.