Music Banter - View Single Post - The Band w/ the biggest impact
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #216 (permalink)
Predator
Whatever

If it has to come from the list, I vote Sabbath. If I can vote anyone, I vote Metallica. Not the new poo, but the older good ****. Master of Puppets was the best Metallica album in my oppinion, but Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning started something.
As far as the Nirvana argument....... It must have been about '90ish, I know it was prior to Nevermind, A friend gave me a cassette of a band from Seattle (turned out to be a copy of bleach). I listened to it not even knowing what it was. It changed my tastes for a long time afterward. I never even figured out who it was until I saw Bleach on a shelf, bought it and realized I already had it. Years went by with me thinking I was the worlds biggest Nirvana fan. I think In Utero was thier best work. Well, I had a few friends that also liked them, it didn't seem to be as huge as it ended up being. After Kurt did his thing in '94, it seemed that Nirvana fans just started popping up everywhere. Hopping on the bandwaggon of the fan of the dead rock star ...wtfe.... Ask them questions and they couldn't answer. Whats your favorite album? Oh its the one with the naked baby.... wtfe.... Shortly afterward, the grunge/alt thing just started to annoy me. Seemed like a bunch of fakes. I'm not saying that all fans are fakes, but there are alot of them. When Nirvana came along, glam had already tied its own noose. Glam dominated the mid to late 80's, they were to much. Any pretty boy could make glam, and letting any pretty boy make glam is what killed it. At the same time as grunge, we also met Gangsta Rap. I noticed after my grunge phase passed that Grunge and Gangsta Rap had something in common with Glam. Both split the void left by Glam. Any scummy looking bum could make grunge. Any gangsta from Compton could rap. If you ask me, Nirvana had just as much impact on music as N.W.A. and Quiet Riot. They pretty much made a genre possible. Had Nirvana not laid the groundwork for "marketable" Grunge, others that followed might not have had thier chance. Did Nirvana have an impact on music? Damn right they did. It just wasn't as big as the impact made by Sabbath or Metallica.

Matt

I be a lunatic

The answer is hidden in plain view.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote