Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #2886 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamagarmr View Post
it shows that they want to conform to a set of ideas not their own, voiding some of their individuality.
That's just from one perspective, from another one it could be said that they're avoiding having to "reinvent the wheel". If somebody spends less time pontificating about what their own opinions and philosophies are and just uses those which other people have presented to them then in a sense it frees them up a lot to actually get things done.

At the same time, like you said, following somebody elses mantras may cause you to lose some of your individuality. In the end, though, you may well end up following your own mantras so it might not be all that different, except for the time spent developing your own personal dogma. We become pretty set in our ways sometime in our 20's so anticipating the continuation of your own originality and flexibility, and ignoring established frameworks, may not be the best way to go. You may just end up following your own equally useless set of mental rules. I think I've probably started doing that myself by now.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote