Music Banter - View Single Post - The Band w/ the biggest impact
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #226 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I think my issue with Bleach is that around the time it came out there were loads of noisepop bands around doing that sort of thing much better than Nirvana were.
I still think that the whole Bleach popularity thing is down to the success of Nevermind rather than Bleach itself. My issue has always been if you love Bleach so much how come you`ve never heard stuff like Silverfish , Bomb Everything , Fudge Tunnel & Mega City Four who were Nirvana`s contemperaries at the time of Bleach`s release.
Now at this point people will probably call me an indie elistist snob or something because i`m slating the popular band and saying a bunch of bands on indie labels were better , but thats not the case , in fact those bands had a bigger following than Nirvana at the time , in fact Nirvana supported quite a few of them.
If people have heard those bands and still prefer Bleach then fair enough , I just think people should at least listen to some of the other stuff from the pre grunge era that Nirvana were a part of before saying whether Bleach is such a fantastic album.

As for the Melvins / Kyuss thing , well like I said i`m only basing my opinion on one album I heard 10 or 12 years ago , I know that you are in a much better position to comment on the Melvins than I am , but that was my initial impression on hearing them.I`ve been wrong before and I will be again.
As for Kyuss , I don`t mind them , in fact I own most of their stuff BUT whenever I hear them there`s always this nagging doubt in my head telling me i`d rather be listening to Black Sabbath instead, dunno why , it just happens.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote